The Japan Local Government Centre is the London Office of the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR).
Founded in 1988, CLAIR is a joint organisation of local governments that promotes international activities implemented by local communities.
CLAIR’s main projects and activities are:
- Coordinating one of the world’s largest exchange programmes, the JET Programme
- Providing support to local governments promoting tourism and regional products
- Contributing to international cooperation at the local level by hosting trainees or dispatching experts
- Providing support to local governments hosting international conferences and assistance in sister city relations
- Providing information and support to foreign nationals in local communities
CLAIR maintain seven offices representing Japanese local governments abroad: New York, London, Paris, Singapore, Beijing and Sydney. Attending to the needs of local governments in Japan, these overseas offices regularly investigate latest trends in local administration and finance, as well as local development and revitalisation policies.